Karachi: According to Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) Act 2020, students have to clear the National Licence Examination (NLE) after completing graduation in MBBS and BDS program to receive a licence for the practice.
The introduction of NLE created a frenzy among medical and dental students alike, who are still uncertain about it. Many students are concerned whether only undergraduate students have to appear in NLE. what about the already employed dental and medical officers?
Though there are still many details to be clarified by PMC, the copy of PMC act 2020 received by Dental News can surely be a help for the readers.
According to PMC Act 2020, section 20, “The Authority shall at least twice a year as per schedule approved by the Council conduct the NLE. Passing the NLE shall be mandatory for obtaining a full licence.”
The attempts of NLE are not limited and can be given many times.
The ordinance also said, “Any medical or dental practitioner who has obtained a licence to practice from any foreign country after having qualified from Pakistan or from a foreign institution recognized by PMC and does not hold a postgraduate r qualification recognized by the Council, shall be required to qualify the NLE for grant of a full licence to practice in Pakistan.
Dental News has made an attempt to intercept the clauses, for your ease and tried to answer most common queries, though many things are still yet to be decided and confirmed by PMC.
- MBBS and BDS Graduates qualified from PMC recognised university after 2021 have to give NLE?
- MBBS and BDS Graduates qualified from PMC recognised university before 2021 have to give NLE?
Answer: Depends. If they have already permanent licence to practice then there’s no need. If they have provisional one, then they might need to appear in NLE.
- MBBS and BDS Graduates qualified from abroad, want to practice in Pakistan?
- I have a licence to practice, but I want to apply in the fellowship program (FCPS), do I have to give NLE?
- I have a licence to practice, but I want to apply in postgraduation program, do I have to give NLE?
- I had a licence to practice, but I want to apply for renewal, do I have to give NLE?
Answer: The process of renewal is still yet to be disclosed.