Prosthetics is the branch of science that deals with repair of intra-oral defects like missing teeth, soft tissue, and missing part of a teeth via artificial techniques. Dentures, or most commonly known as artificial teeth, are used for the restoration of these defects. Artificial teeth are man-made teeth, made from porcelain or resin material, applied to bring back missing teeth and surrounding tissue.
Major Companies in the Artificial Teeth Market
The key players of the artificial teeth market include:
- Avinent Implant System
- BioHorizons Inc.
- Nobel Biocare Holdings AG
- DENTSPLY International Inc.
- Institut Straumann AG
- Nobel, Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc.
- Ivoclar Vivadent Inc.
Reasons for Growth in Artificial Teeth Market
In the past few years there has been a significant growth in the global artificial teeth market. The reason being:
- The rapid increase in the geriatric population all over the world. According to a study conducted by World Health Organization (WHO) in 2010 the geriatric population was 524 million and is estimated to reach 1.5 billion by 2050.
- The cases of oral diseases like oral cancer, pyorrhea, and gingivitis is increasing day by day. In 2012 the WHO reported that 5% to 20% of adults aged between 35 to 44 years were found to have severe periodontal diseases that lead to tooth loss.
- Loss of natural teeth in around 30% of the people aged between 65 to 74 years.
- Upsurge in the oral cancer cases that leads to higher demand of artificial teeth. As per a research conducted by Cancer Research UK in 2011, around 6,800 people were diagnosed with oral cancer.
Aftermath of Growth in Artificial Teeth Market
The rapid increase in the growth of artificial teeth market has led to the following:
- Rise in occurrence of oral diseases
- Growth of geriatric population
- Increase in the number of diabetic patients
- Development in awareness of dental prosthetics among people
Division of Artificial Teeth Market
The artificial teeth market can be divided into:
- Type of denture. This can be further segmented into:
- Partial denture
- Complete denture
- Immediate denture
- Type of material. This can be further segmented into:
- Acrylic denture
- Porcelain denture
- Type of end-user. This can be further segmented into:
- Dental laboratories
- Type of region. This can be further segmented into:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
Europe contributes to the greatest share in the artificial teeth market, followed by North America. The two regions rule the market because of rise in geriatric population, increase in incidence of dental caries, and high adoption of premium priced new dental products.
Asia Pacific market is likely to experience an expansion in the near future. The increased number of diabetic cases in the region are the major cause of growth in the market, as diabetic patients are twice as likely to suffer from edentulism. The major countries that produce the most opportunities and consumers of artificial teeth in this region are China and India. Moreover, improvements in health care infrastructure and increase in disposable income in China, India and Malaysia are expected to promote the Asia Pacific market.