Baqai Dental College (BDC) is proudly celebrating its Silver Jubilee this year with many amazing events for the students and faculty. In this series of events, a “Research Based Seminar on Oral Cancer” was recently conducted at Baqai Dental College. One of the Alumnus of Baqai Dental College – Dr. Kamran Habib Awan, was called to enlighten the audience on the extensive research, which he has carried out on the subject of “Oral Cancer”.
Dr. Kamran has practiced and learned at King’s College, London, where he completed his PhD with a distinction. He also practiced at the University of Malaya, Malaysia and is currently working successfully in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the field of Oral medicine.
The event begun by welcoming Dr. Talha M. Siddiqui (Vice Principal Baqai Dental College) to address the audience. The programme host – Dr. Samee, then invited Dr. Fareed Mohsin (HOD Oral medicine) to share his thoughts and introduce Dr. Kamran Habib.
Dr. Kamran’s lecture encompassed many elements while elaborating on this devastating condition – called oral cancer. He briefed the audience about;
- Primary preventive methods to eradicate the elevated prevalence of oral cancer.
- Major risk factors that contribute to the high-incidence of this pathology.
- Demographic distribution of oral cancer in areas of Karachi (based on a survey).
- Adjunctive tools of diagnosis.
- Confirmatory approaches for final diagnosis, screening and staging of cancer e.g. histological proof of neoplastic activity can help determine the treatment strategy.
- Based on the extent of metastasis and graveness of the cancer, treatment plan is devised, causing minimal damage achievable to normal tissue and removing the lesion as well as the cause to ensure the condition doesn’t relapse
- Connotation of public awareness for diminution of the probability or occurrence of oral cancer and the steps needed to be exercised for a healthier, cancer free community.
Furthermore, Dr. Kamran highlighted the harmful effects of tobacco, areca nut and alcohol in all ages. The growing use of the harmful “water pipe” (Shisha/Hookah) among youngsters was highlighted as he declared Shisha to be more harmful than a cigarette, because it contains more quantity of tobacco and can result in earnest damage to the oral cavity, as well as rest of the body.
After the session, the forum was opened for questions, while Dr. Kamran also expressed his gratitude. Dr. Kashif Ikram (Principal Baqai Dental College) concluded the ceremony with his words of wisdom. The Vice Chancellor of Baqai Medical University, Dr. Zahida Baqai, presented a shield of appreciation to the lecturer.
Other important personalities gracing the occasion included; Dr. Shahida Nagi – Director Baqai Medical University (BMU), Dr. Kefi Iqbal – HOD Dental Materials at BDC, Dr. Asghar Ali Shigri – HOD Community Dentistry BDC, Dr. Jameel – HOD Medicine BMU and Dr Shakila Nazir – HOD Oral Biology BDC. The senior alumni members attending the lecture included; Dr. Aneel Bherwani – Orthodontist at Ziauddin University (ZMU) and Dr. Abbas – Prosthodontist at ZMU,